Yeah, viagra order that title needs refining slightly.
Apparently we’re all supposed to be doing middle-of-the-year lists now, in addition to the year-end ones. I guess our attention spans are such now that the only way we can be sure something has stood the test of time (time being, in this case, a whole six months) is if we write it down? Although it does seem a nice little bookend as we move into the traditional new release lull of the festival season, and I can never resist one of those.
Since the monthly mixtapes have fallen by the wayside once again – although tell that to the draft playlists I’ve made up for every month – here is some rough approximation of my favourite songs of the year so far. This is based on a complex algorithm of playcounts and iTunes ratings rather than Science Fact, and I reserve the right to have changed my mind come December.
20. Vampire Weekend: “Diane Young”
19. Savages: “She Will”
18. Mike Doughty: “Sunshine”
17. Tunng: “So Far From Here”
16. Thao and the Get Down Stay Down: “We The Common (For Valerie Bolden)”
15. Tegan and Sara: “Now I’m All Messed Up”
14. Jason Isbell: “Elephant”
13. Rilo Kiley: “Let Me Back In”
12. Waxahatchee: “Blue Pt II”
11. The History of Apple Pie: “Tug”
10. Rick Redbeard: “Any Way I Can”
9. Lady Lamb the Beekeeper: “Aubergine”
8. Caitlin Rose: “Old Numbers”
7. Kathleen Edwards: “It Must’ve Been Love”
6. The National: “Graceless
5. Kid Canaveral: “Skeletons” (is not anywhere on the internet, so here’s the equally excellent “The Wrench”)
4. Giant Drag: “Garbage Heart”
3. Dropkick Murphys: “Rose Tattoo”
2. Frightened Rabbit: “State Hospital”
1. Frank Turner: “Recovery”