Running a little later than I’d normally like to this month, with weekends away and whatever else, but hopefully worth the wait. I think I’ve mentioned this before, or at least alluded to it, but I love how the composition of my monthly mixes is changing thanks to more and more bands submitting more music to this blog than I’d ever have a chance to write about. I count no less than five tracks by new or up-and-coming Scottish bands among my usual alternative country leanings. There is so much fantastic talent coming out of this country at the moment (and with Hinterland approaching this weekend, I hope to write about some more tomorrow).
The first few tracks (which, in one particular case, is a complete understatement… but we’ll say no more!) have started to appear from the albums that look set to make my 2010. But, before I disappear underneath a pile of Americana until the middle of June, there are a couple of tracks I want to highlight in particular from this month’s selection:
My favourite song on March’s mix is “Squealing Pigs” by Admiral Fallow. Formerly Brother Louis Collective, the Glasgow six-piece’s uplifting, folky debut is due out towards the end of next month and promises to be pretty spectacular if the bits and pieces I’ve heard to date are anything to go by. I also love local electronica artist Miaoux Miaoux, who has been getting a tonne of good press from the likes of the PodcART crew on the strength of his new Blooms EP.
From further afield, there are some great female voices on this month’s mix – Sarah Jaffe and Lissie, who I can’t help but adore despite her stealing my favourite pet name, in particular.
I Don’t Know How You Learned That Look: last month’s mix, March 2010
1. Clem Snide: “Wal-Mart Parking Lot”
2. Kasey Anderson: “All Lit Up”
3. Big Star: “The India Song”
4. Blacklands: “Come Sad Light Of Dawn”
5. Burnt Island: “Timeless Colour”
6. The Unwinding Hours: “Solstice”
7. Joanna Newsom: “’81”
8. Sarah Jaffe: “Perfect Plan”
9. She and Him: “In The Sun”
10. Kid Canaveral: “Good Morning”
11. Sparklehorse: “Sad and Beautiful World”
12. Kathryn Williams: “Thirteen [Big Star cover]”
13. Astrid Williamson: “Superman” [acoustic] 14. Admiral Fallow: “Squealing Pigs”
15. Miaoux Miaoux: “Snow”
16. Lissie: “Everywhere I Go”
[ZIPPED .MP3S, LEFT CLICK AND SAVE]
Monthly Most Played, as ever, after the jump.
Monthly Most Played as of March 2010:
1. Marah, “Walt Whitman Bridge” [=] 2. The Gaslight Anthem, “High Lonesome” [=] 3= The Gaslight Anthem, “We Came To Dance”  3= The Gaslight Anthem, “The ’59 Sound” [=] 3= The Hold Steady, “Banging Camp” [=] 6. The Hold Steady, “Lord, I’m Discouraged”  7. The Hold Steady, “Sequestered In Memphis”  8. The Gaslight Anthem, “Even Cowgirls Get The Blues” [NE] 9= The Gaslight Anthem, “Old White Lincoln” [NE] 9= The Hold Steady, ‘Magazines”