Obviously, I was considerably younger when the above photograph was taken. 26, in fact.
Happy birthday to me! As I enter my thirieth year on this earth, the last of my twenties, it’s unsurprising that I’m trying to take stock and get the measure of my accomplishments. Life certainly hasn’t turned out in the way I had imagined when I was a precocious little thing in school, but for the most part that’s fine because I’ve done lots of amazing things and met lots of amazing people that I wouldn’t have been able to otherwise.
Goalsetting in the form of a “thirty before thirty” list has been done to death, but I still think it’s a worthwhile exercise. It’ll give me something to focus on every time I start to wail that life is passing me by. For that reason I’ve tried to steer clear of the ridiculous or unachievable. I’m not going to explore Asia on a wing and a prayer and a credit card deficit, and who knows if I’ll ever be my ideal weight? There are a lot of things on this list I’ve been promising I’ll do for ages: making a zine, putting on a gig. This is my way of telling myself to get on with it, then.
Look Ma, I’m A Grown Up!
1. move into somewhere that’s properly my own, like with furniture and stuff. Alternatively, get existing flat looking and feeling the way I want it. It’s only been five years;
2. get my iTunes library sorted out, with proper tags and album artwork;
3. get the wedding photos, scrapbook and thank-you cards organised, done and sent out;
4. make a habit of living off my paycheque rather than credit cards/borrowing (at least three times in a five month period);
5. come off anti-depressants;
6. pass my driving test;
7. attain “inbox zero”;
8. get a cat.
You Only Live Once
9. shout from a rooftop, at least 20 storeys high (h/t Murph);
10. see a sunset.
I’m A Talented Little Monkey, Really
11. write a book. I can, of course, get away with not finishing it but only if I at least make a concerted effort;
12. learn and perform at least one song of my choosing at an open mic;
13. make a zine;
14. put on a gig;
15. make a cheesecake;
16. make my own gin (h/t Duncan);
17. record a podcast;
18. write a song (h/t Kieran);
19. get something published somewhere that even my dad will be impressed by;
20. play with a band
21. see the Weakerthans live (this is a bit of a cheat, as I already have a ticket for later this month thanks to my bezzer);
22. listen to every Bob Dylan album;
23. read Infinite Jest;
24. take at least one trip to a city I’ve never visited;
25. learn something new or develop an existing skill with a course of study
26. have a professional waxing treatment;
27. have a dress designed for me, perhaps for some big ol’ 30th birthday party;
28. go full redhead (if get mistaken for Karen Gillan so much the better);
29. take up some kind of regular fitness/sporty pursuit
30. volunteer for something (h/t Steff).