Those of you who thought that the reason July’s mix had not yet appeared was me running scared of another cease and desist notice: rejoice! The only thing holding me up has been the craziness of this month: deadlines, festivals, premieres, houseguests and project ends and epic, unforgettable concerts. I suspect some of that may show in this month’s selection. Grab as fast as you can, in case the Sheriff has a problem with Old Steady too.
(Which reminds me, if you were promised a CD in the mail: again, I apologise and cite a busy month. It’s on my to-do list.)
Her Mascara Was Born To Run: last month’s mix, July 2008
1. Jesse Malin: Sister Christian Where Are You Now?
2. REM: Living Well Is The Best Revenge
3. The Dutchess and the Duke: Mary
4. The Helio Sequence: Hallelujah
5. Clem Snide: Yip/Jump Music
6. The Kinks: I Took My Baby Home
7. The Hold Steady: Chillout Tent
8. Leonard Cohen: Democracy
9. Tom Waits: Innocent When You Dream
10. Matthew Ryan: It Could’ve Been Worse
11. Sleater-Kinney: The Drama You’ve Been Craving
12. Vivian Girls: Damaged
13. The National: Murder Me Rachael
14. Seasick Steve: Hobo Low
15. Martha Wainwright: Tower of Song [live] 16. Wilco: Either Way*
[zipped .mp3s, left-click and save]
*JAY: That sounded worryingly like Mick Hucknall…
Monthly most played after the jump. Did record label intervention dampen my ardour for Stay Positive any? Er… no.
Monthly Most Played as of July-ish 2008:
1. The Hold Steady, “Sequestered in Memphis” [=] 2. The Hold Steady, “Magazines” [=] 3= The Hold Steady, “Constructive Summer”  3= The Hold Steady, “Lord, I’m Discouraged”  5. The Hold Steady, “One For The Cutters”  6. Marah, “Walt Whitman Bridge”  7= The Hold Steady, “Yeah Sapphire” [NE] 7= The Hold Steady, “Both Crosses” [NE] 7= The Hold Steady, “Stay Positive” [NE] 7= Matthew Ryan, “Dulce Et Decorum Est”
7= The National, “Thirsty”  7= Steve Earle, “The Galway Girl” [=]