Here’s how it plays out behind the scenes:
I don’t just throw these mixes together, you know. No; from the moment the last month’s is posted I keep my ears alert for new sounds, or old sounds that finally connect on a closer, more subliminal level. I save them up on playlists and scribbled in notebooks and then, around this time every month, I stitch them together into something a little more coherent. I wouldn’t go so far as to say these monthly playlists tell a story, but I at least intend for them to flow a little.
Except this month. This month, something just didn’t seem to sit right. Coupled with my current confusion and lack of creativity, it’s been incredibly frustrating. I hope you don’t think this comes across as half-assed, is all I’m saying.
Oh, go vote in my birthday poll if you haven’t already 🙂
Handful of Chestnuts, Mouthful of April Rain: last month’s mix, April 2009:
1. Jose Vanders: Seven Seas
2. The Pains of Being Pure At Heart: Everything With You
3. AC Newman: Like A Hitman, Like A Dancer
4. Brakes: Crush On You
5. Neko Case: This Tornado Loves You
6. The Clash: Stay Free
7. Jason Isbell: Seven Mile Island
8. Marah: Body
9. Jeffrey Lewis and the Junkyard: To Be Objectified
10. Emmy the Great: Easter Parade
11. Blitzen Trapper: Black River Killer
12. Official Secrets Act: Little Birds
13. King Creosote: Rims
14. Malcolm Middleton: Stay Close, Sit Tight
15. Drive-By Truckers: Goddamn Lonely Love
[ZIPPED MP3S, RIGHT-CLICK AND SAVE]
Monthly Most Played after the jump.
1. The Hold Steady, “Sequestered in Memphis” [=] 2. Marah, “Walt Whitman Bridge” [=] 3. The Hold Steady, “Lord, I’m Discouraged” [=] 4. The Hold Steady, “Constructive Summer” [=] 5. The Gaslight Anthem, “High Lonesome”  6. The Hold Steady, “Banging Camp”  7= The Gaslight Anthem, “The ’59 Sound”  7= The Hold Steady, “Magazines”  7= Red House Painters, “Have You Forgotten”  10= The Hold Steady, “Yeah Sapphire” [=] 10= The Hold Steady, “Both Crosses” [=] 10= The National, “Thirsty”