It’s been a good weekend: I think the only thing I didn’t manage to accomplish from my mental to-do list was to get a haircut, medications and the things that I wasn’t expecting to happen more than made up for having to peer under a too-long, view shiny fringe in whatever self portrait I took on any particular day. This month’s mix, which is actually a bit late when you consider I like to get them up around the twentieth, is the last of the things I sought out to achieve.
It was difficult going, actually – rather than listen to plenty of new music from which I might select, my listening habits have been excessively dominated by Death Cab’s new album and that… otheronewhichhasntleaked. Since I had already chosen the title (from the Lords of the New Church song as performed by Jesse Malin both in Birmingham earlier this month and on his covers record), I’ve filled in the blanks with something of a movie theme – songs from movies, songs with a vaguely cinematic feel and even a song from actress and personal style icon Zooey Deschanel’s “She and Him” project with M. Ward. Clutching at straws a little, but I hope you like it regardless.
This month’s mix also goes out to perfect moments in the park (“Warwick Avenue”), Tommy Burns (“When You’re Gone”) and that “dull ache that you live with” which is – thanks to extensive physiotherapy – starting to get a bit duller.
Living Out Frank Coppola’s Dreams: last month’s mix, May 2008
1. Steve Earle: The Galway Girl
2. The Hold Steady: Sequestered in Memphis
3. Jesse Malin: Russian Roulette
4. Wheat: Don’t I Hold You
5. Sun Kil Moon: Lily and Parrots
6. Lucero: When You’re Gone
7. Marah: Walt Whitman Bridge
8. Cat Stevens: The Wind
9. Studio Group: Operator (That’s Not The Way It Feels)
10. Dan Bern: Chelsea Hotel
11. She & Him: This Is Not A Test
12. Duffy: Warwick Avenue
13. Death Cab For Cutie: Long Division
14. Arab Strap: Act of War
15. Bruce Springsteen: Across the Border
16. The Mountain Goats: The Young Thousands
[zipped .mp3s, left click and save]
Monthly Most Played after the jump.
Monthly Most Played as of May 2008:
1. The Hold Steady, “Sequestered in Memphis” [NE] 2= Marah, “Walt Whitman Bridge” [NE] 2= Steve Earle, “The Galway Girl” [NE] 4= Bruce Springsteen, “Thunder Road”  4= Death Cab For Cutie, “I Will Possess Your Heart” [NE] 4= The National, “Thirsty” [NE] 7= Marah, “Formula, Cola, Dollar Draft”  7= Studio Group, “Operator (That’s Not The Way It Feels)” [NE] 9= Ben Kyle & Ryan Adams, “The Dark” [NE] 9= Jesse Malin, “Looking For A Love”  9= Jesse Malin, “Russian Roulette” [NE] 9= Kathleen Edwards, “The Cheapest Key” [NE] 9= The Mountain Goats, “Distant Stations”  9= The Mountain Goats, “You Or Your Memory”  9= Neutral Milk Hotel, “Gardenhead/Leave Me Alone”  9= Red House Painters, “Have You Forgotten” [NE] 9= Sun Kil Moon, “Lily and Parrots”